January 11, 2010

10 for '10

I don't make New Years resolutions but usually I try to just do things that I've been wanting to do for a while. I got the idea from this post by Amber to list 10 things I'd like to accomplish this year. Some of them are planned already and some of them are not. Here we go!

1) Celebrate Chinese New Year in Vancouver - I really wish I celebrated my Chinese heritage more and I really enjoy taking part in Chinese New Year festivities. I haven't done so in two years and I'd really like to take the trip down and visit family. Plus, the food is amazing! I don't know if it will happen this year, with the Olympics making Vancouver crazy and all.

2) Have an amazing time during the Canucks game - Back in September, I bought Kyle and I tickets to see the Vancouver Canucks take on the Detroit Red Wings in March. We've recently booked out hotel room, and I'm super excited to go down. We haven't gone on an overnight trip together since 2008, so I'm looking forward to some good alone time.

3) Buy a house - I know it's a long shot at this point, but Kyle and I have been saving for about two years now for a down payment on a house. In October 2008 we had actually made a successful offer on a house, but the financing fell through as it was right during the time they were cancelling out zero-down payments. We're tired of renting and we really want our own place before getting married.

4) Advance in the workforce - Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but one day I'd really like to move up to a daily newspaper. Times are really tough right now, so it's been hard, especially since I want to stay in Kamloops

5) Go north - One of my best friends is having a baby in March and I can't wait for it to arrive! I really want to go up north and visit her in Fort Saint John, plus another friend in Prince George. Unfortunately time and money never seem to be on my side, so I guess I'll just have to play things by ear.

6) Cook - I'd really like to learn cook a wider range of dishes. My skills are generally limited to casseroles and pasta dishes, so I'd like to branch out a little. I love all types of food, so I'm curious to see what I'm capable of making in the kitchen.

7) Get in better shape - I've had a gym membership since July (or maybe August) of last year but I really haven't been using it to it's full potential. I want to try and hit the gym at least three times a week to start and eventually work my way up to four. It'll take some time, I know it, but I always feel amazing after a good workout and want to continue that!

8) Read more books - Last summer I read a ton of books but slowed down in the winter. There's a 900+ pager that's been sitting on my coffee table since October and I haven't even cracked the first page. I definitely want to get back into great books.

9) Hunt - Yes, some people may not like the idea of hunting animals, but I really enjoy hunting with my grandpa and I plan on getting my license this spring. My grandpa is quite proud of the fact that I enjoy going out into the bush with him and hunting for deer, and I can't wait to go again come fall.

10) Be a better blogger - I first started blogging about a  year ago for one of my journalism classes and I rather enjoyed it. Keeping to such a strict topic for my class was quite difficult but I've really enjoyed exploring the blog world and reading all the amazing blogs out there! It's made me want to work on mine and make it great!

Do you have anything you'd like to accomplish this year? Have any feedback on my blog you'd like to share! Yays or nays?



2 comments:

  1. Great list. I also want to read more books this year!

    You have a small car, take a Friday and Monday off and drive up to FSJ :) It would only cost you about $100 in gas (max I bet) and it's about a 9-10 hour trip. Then you could hit PG on the way up or the way down, kill two birds with one stone. It could also be a fun road trip to do with Kyle!

    I will not be going anywhere near Vancouver during the Olympics. I do not like crazy things like that! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt Kyle would come with me, but going North is definitely something I want to do this year.

    I can avoid downtown Vancouver since my aunt lives down there, but it will still be crazy traveling there I bet. It's depressing.

    ReplyDelete