January 6, 2010

Two jobs, no life

I'm sure there comes a time in everyone's lives where they need to work two jobs (unless they're spoiled or rich or something). I've done it in high school; I was 15 and I worked at a little gift shop during the week and at a Chinese/Western restaurant on weekends during the evening.

I guess at that age not having a social life during the summer was okay. Everyone I knew was travelling somewhere and really, I thought it was cool to have a job. I didn't have to ask my parents for money anymore and I could start saving for something awesome.

I only did the two-job stint for that one summer and ever since then, I've just had one job part-time during school and full-time during the summer. Living at home helped ease my bills and having a dad as a mechanic (technically a heavy-duty mechanic, but he knows enough to fix small vehicles) really helped keep the money I made in my pocket.

Now, however, I live Kyle and have to pay for rent, groceries and all my other goodies. Sadly, I'm having a hard time managing my money and with my hours just being cut at work due to the winter slow season, I'm a little nervous. So nervous, in fact, that it's brought me to re-apply for my old job at one of the grocery stores in town.

I never thought I'd have to go back to working in retail, but I guess when times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do. I haven't been hired back yet, but I'm sure it will happen. I'm not thrilled about it, but being broke is worse, especially when Kyle and I are desperately trying to save for a house.

So I may go back to not having a decent social life for a while, but if it will calm my mind, it's worth it.

Have you worked two jobs before? Did you mind not having a social life if it meant not worrying about finances?

2 comments:

  1. The summer before moving to Kamloops I worked at the pool full-time during the day and waitressed at night. And right now I work 10-15 hours a week at Communication Solutions and for the Omega (at least that's not set hours) AND do freelance. It is a lot though but I like being busy. My workload now is a little different because only one job requires me to be somewhere for regular hours.

    I digress. When I worked at the pool and waitressed I HATED IT. I was EXHAUSTED every day and had NO life and NEVER saw Eric. I just kept telling myself it was only for four months and I needed the money and that's what got me through it. Maybe try to look at it as a temporary thing until things pick up at your full-time job in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,

    I have been looking for work in Kamloops for 4 months and I am desperate! I have excellent office skills and great references, no criminal record - something is missing. Anyway, I hope things get better for you. Friend me on Facebook - Louisa Faux

    ReplyDelete