January 8, 2010

Friday Food - Chow Mien

I've decided that every Friday, I'm going to post a recipe that I've tried or recently tried. I love food and love trying new recipes, so when I find something I like, I'll share it with you :)

I've created a blog specifically for the recipes here and they'll be organized by ingredient, Ethnicity and difficulty for easy searching! That way, you don't have to search this blog for specific recipes.

Here's the first recipe:

Simple Chicken Chow Mien.

You can omit or add any veggies you like, but these are the ones I usually use. It's really easy, and in my opinion, quite tasty!

Ingredients:
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1 big tablespoon of hoisin or oyster sauce
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
- bag of chow mien noodles (I buy the soft ones that are kept in the cooler by the produce at grocery stores)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- snow peas
- mushrooms


The noodles I buy have to be soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, so I do that while I'm prepping the chicken for the pan ...

Cut your chicken into strips about 2 inches long. Put them in a large, deep skillet with some oil (I use canola) and cook on medium-high heat until no longer pink.

Note: This is when I usually start my rice!

As that's cooking, I prep my veggies that need to be cut. (Celery, carrots, onion, garlic, mushrooms, etc.)

Once the chicken is cooked, I add in the veggies and let them cook for 5 minutes over medium heat (I had my stove set in between 6 and 7). If you cut them into thicker pieces, put a lid over the pan and that will help soften up the veggies.

After the veggies are cooking I add in the noodles and mix them around a little before adding in my broth, soy sauce and hoisin sauce. I mix once more and then turn the heat down to medium and put the lid back on for 15 minutes to let everything come to an even temperature and let the flavour set in.

That's it after that! You can always add or reduce ingredients and adjust the flavours to suit your own tastes.


No comments:

Post a Comment