January 13, 2010

Cross-Studying

I was having a conversation with two of my best friends during a coffee date the other day. Two of us (myself included) are all done school and one of us is still in school, studying Sociology and Anthropology. She was asked if she has taken any Psychology courses, and she said no, that they don't touch that stuff.

I found it odd, really, because I always thought that cross-studying was a good thing. Maybe it's because I studied a little bit of everything to be well-rounded and knowledgeable in a variety of areas. Other than the programs that require special admission (think Tourism, DAAD and Nursing) I took a course from every discipline. In first year I took Microeconomics (I failed, but I still remember some stuff), I've taken art history courses, a bunch of political science courses, psychology a philosophy courses just to name a few. Of course, I took all the required courses to get my degree, but I really found that studying outside of my major was eye opening.

Anyway, I never think it hurts to study outside of your field. You get a better understanding of other areas and personally, I think you can back up your arguments better.

What do you think? Do you enjoy taking courses outside of what you're studying?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED my first two years of college when pretty much all I did was a mish-mash of courses. I miss that. A lot. Stupid journalism...

    ReplyDelete